I am passionate about my daily practices and how to fit connecting with my own deepest self into my busy days.

I am passionate about my daily practices and how to fit connecting with my own deepest self into my busy days. I work full-time as a public librarian, which sounds mellow and easy, but I've managed to make much more complicated. Add in about 1.5 hours commuting each way, and that's a pretty full day. But there are still plenty of opportunities to wake up out of the routine and check in with my soul. I've created this blog to put more attention and focus on my simple daily practices and play around with new ideas. That's the thing about opening up these conversations with our deeper selves, it allows for a lot of growth and new possibilities.

I was talking with a friend recently about starting a meditation practice. Although I've practiced formal meditation regularly in the past, that's not currently part of my regular routine. I do have an emWave, which I love, and I use it probably 3 times a week on my bus ride in to work, but it isn't non-negotiable, like my morning exercise routine or my evening gratitude list. And I'm skeptical of what I see as the sort of "macho" hour on the cushion approach, although if this works for you, that's wonderful - keep going! In talking with my friend I was reminded of hearing several teachers I really admire talk about the benefits of very short sessions many times a day. So this week I'll be focusing on the pause practice, starting with my dear Pema Chodron.

Although Pema Chodron is a Buddhist nun, I think she really gets it. The quotation at the top of this page comes from a wonderful article she wrote this year for Lion's Roar where she recommends a simple pause practice of taking three conscious breaths, which can be done throughout your day. You can read the whole thing and learn more here.

Comments